While I was home for Thanksgiving, my mom and I decided to experiment with some new breakfast choices. We may or may not have seen my cousin’s amazing looking breakfast on Instagram and decided we had to top it!
Now that you’ve seen what ours looked like, what a simple google search turns up… clearly we didn’t win on the presentation factor!
This recipe features two of my favorite things: eggs and avocados. On top of that, it was really simple and promised to be super healthy.
There are a million recipes out there, but this is the general recipe we followed and some tips for next time!
1) Preheat the oven to 425. At first, we had it on 375 and then realized that the egg was not cooking fast enough (which might be why our yolk sunk!).
2) Cut an avocado in half and take out the pit. You’ll want to scoop out more of the avocado then just the pit- it needs to have a reasonable hole for the egg to fit in. Also, cut off the very bottom of each avocado so that they can lay flat and won’t roll over in your pan.
3) Place the avocados in a pan where they’re relatively close together. It doesn’t completely matter what you use, but we were trying to avoid them rolling and the egg dripping out!
4) Take an egg and crack it open, letting the contents fall into the middle of the avocado. We used one egg per avocado – if you really wanted you could split each egg in half and use one egg for two halves.
5) Salt and pepper, or whatever else you like, on top!
6) Cook for 15-20 minutes until the egg looks cooked. Our original temperature was too low, so the avocado got slightly hot and melted. Make sure your oven is at 450!
7) If you don’t like hot avocados you can let your creation cool down – otherwise enjoy!
The avocado ended up being slightly too cooked for me, but I think if we did it again it could be a perfect meal. It’s also something I’d feel comfortable throwing together myself, that doesn’t require too much time, effort, or many ingredients.
Have you tried it before? Any tips or tricks?